For many years, scientists have argued that the planet cannot sustain our current lifestyle. It is our collective responsibility to imagine new ways of living that respect our environment and find innovative ways to finance them. Teaching the younger generations to protect nature and biodiversity is essential, but more is needed. It is also necessary to be ready to concretely support sustainable, beautiful, and inclusive projects that can help with the much-needed mindset shift.
Stage I of the NEB Lab innovative funding project consisted of two pilots: philanthropy and crowdfunding. It required mobilising the philanthropic and crowdfunding sector, while identifying the needs and associated intervention modalities that can bring added value compared to traditional EU instruments. The objective was to test models with solid potential to be mainstreamed or tested at different levels, i.e., with EU, National or regional funding. Several stakeholders were involved in trying the emerging proposals.
The two pilot projects have now moved on to the next stage and become one consolidated project. The NEB Lab project on innovative funding explores how to fund small, grassroots projects with low, seed-level financing to make a tangible impact on the New European Bauhaus community. As we advance, the goal will be to look into creating a ‘one-stop-shop’ for small projects across Europe and offer the best funding solutions for each project via crowdfunding, philanthropy, or EU public funding.
- April 2022: Draft report on philanthropy and crowdfunding
- November 2022: Final reports on philanthropy and crowdfunding models and best practices
- December 2022 - March 2023: Exploring possibilities for hosting the "one-stop-shop"
Project team coordinators
Contributors to the first stage of the project
- EC, Directorate‑General for Economic and Financial Affairs
- New European Bauhaus partners: European Cultural Foundation, FEDORA, Philea, The Arks Foundation, BIDs Belgium, Eurac Research, REGEA, The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- NEB Lab, European Commission led project
- Project locations
- Brussels, Belgium