Art and movement as vehicles for leisure and self-expression!
Tierras en danza was founded as a basis of this ethos. The project was one of 30 finalists for the 2021 New European Bauhaus award prizes in "Mobilisation of culture, arts, and communities."
Tierras en danza is a contemporary dance project based in Cáceres, Extremadura. The project began in 2020 and takes place annually in El Anillo, a unique sports centre with multi-diverse facilities surrounded by Gabriel y Galan reservoir.
The interplay of the dancers with the setting in an immersive experience brings the blend of nature and architecture to life. Two approaches are used in the project tailored exclusively for rural areas:
- A summer intensive festival for professional dancers invites people from all around the world together to enhance their dancing skills, learn about sports science, participate in activities, and enjoy nature.
- A free contemporary dance festival featuring shows, exhibitions, and seminars for aspiring dancers.
Tierras en danza is open to everyone, regardless of dance experience. Whether for adults or children, every session is tailored to their individual needs.
The festival's schedule includes a wide range of activities designed to attract participation through several approaches:
Contemporary dance workshops for beginners intended to live the real dancing experience.
- Video dance projections.
- Lectures on the history of modern dance in Spain and Europe.
- Shows and performances in the village's outdoor areas.
- Live creative workshops, in which summer intensive participants completed
- improvisation tasks to adapt to the building and surroundings.
- Tandem lecture-performances.
Culture is emphasised as a source of societal sustainability. Tierras en danza's sustainability is heavily reliant on promoting and discovering nature as a suitable option for practising sports without negatively impacting the environment.
Aside from the enjoyment of the movement, the project's creators hope that its participants will turn the experience into a pastime and build a community where dance is an integral part of their lives.
📸 © European Union
- Prizes 2021, Award Finalist
- Áiteanna an tionscadail
- Cáceres, Spain